The annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) will take place on February 9-11 at the Marriott Wardman Park in Washington D.C. I had the opportunity to observe CPAC in 2011 (see here and here), and like the Values Voters Summit, it offers a glimpse into the American right.
A vertitable who's who of conservatives, CPAC's confirmed speakers this year include current and former political figures such as Speaker of the House John Boehner, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Florida Governor Rick Scott, Newt Gingrich, Rep. Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and Mike Huckabee. Also in the CPAC line-up are Family Research Council president Tony Perkins, Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly, prolific mother Michelle Duggar, and commentator Ann Coulter, among many others.
According to the 2012 CPAC schedule of events, a number of workshops and panel discussions will focus on themes we've come to expect.
- In the Name of “Tolerance”: Countering Sexual Identity Politics in Schools & Wait No More
- Why are U.S. taxpayers spending billions to promote abortion and homosexuality worldwide?
- The Phony Divide Between Fiscal & Social Conservatives: Protecting Marriage as a Case Study
- Return of Big Labor: What Can We Learn from Wisconsin & Ohio?
- The Failure of Multiculturalism: How the pursuit of diversity is weakening the American identity
- Taking Back Wall Street: The Tea Party vs. Occupy Wall Street
- Advancing the Pro-Life Movement through Media
CPAC 2012 will also screen multiple films, including the following.
- Fire From the Heartland: The Awakening of the Conservative Woman, a Citizens United production featuring Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rep. Michelle Bachmann, and antifeminist Phyllis Schlafly. (See firefromtheheartland[dot]com)
- The Gift of Life, an anti-abortion film from Citizens United narrated by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. (See thegiftoflifemovie[dot]com)
- Monumental: In Search of America’s National Treasure, a film about American decline and founding principles featuring Kirk Cameron. (See www[dot]monumentalmovie[dot]com)
For additional information, visit cpac2012[dot]conservative.org/.
To download the CPAC schedule of events, visit cpac2012[dot]conservative[dot]org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Schedule-Of-Events_Latest.pdf.
For additional news and commentary, visit the following links.
The Advocate: Fred Karger Accuses CPAC of Illegal "No Gays Allowed" Policy
Huffington Post: Sarah Palin To Be Keynote Speaker At 2012 CPAC Conference
Mother Jones: CPAC Cosponsor: Nelson Mandela a "Bloodthirsty Terrorist"