Thursday, October 31, 2013

Doug Phillips Resigns from Vision Forum Over "Inappropriate" Relationship

Vision Forum, a ministry that supports Christian homeschooling and the Christian Patriarchy Movement, is in crisis. On October 30th, Vision Forum president Doug Phillips resigned from his position over a "lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman". In an online statement, Phillips apologized to God and his family.
"There has been serious sin in my life for which God has graciously brought me to repentance. I have confessed my sin to my wife and family, my local church, and the board of Vision Forum Ministries.  I engaged in a lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman. While we did not “know” each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate.

There are no words to describe the magnitude of shame I feel, or grief from the injury I caused my beloved bride and children, both of whom have responded to my repentance with what seems a supernatural love and forgiveness. I thought too highly of myself and behaved without proper accountability. I have acted grievously before the Lord, in a destructive manner hypocritical of life messages I hold dear, inappropriate for a leader, abusive of the trust that I was given, and hurtful to family and friends. My church leadership came alongside me with love and admonition, providing counsel, strong direction and accountability. Where I have directly wronged others, I confessed and repented. I am still in the process of trying to seek reconciliation privately with people I have injured, and to be aware of ways in which my own selfishness has hurt family and friends. I am most sensitive to the fact that my actions have dishonored the living God and been shameful to the name of Jesus Christ, my only hope and Savior."
 
News of Phillips infidelity and resignation raises a multitude of questions. How will the Christian Patriarchy Movement react to news that one of its leaders resigned over an inappropriate relationship? What conversations will this generate in the movement? As with other high-profile affairs, will observers heap scorn on the "other woman" or Phillips' wife? Who will take the reigns at Vision Forum after Phillips' departure?

The irony of Doug Phillips' infidelity has not escaped me. A man who trumpeted the sanctity of marriage did not uphold the sanctity of his own. A man whose ministry glorified the nuclear family has now brought pain upon his own family. Hopefully, recent events will encourage self-reflection and remorse on Phillips' part.

Phillips' admission also points out uncomfortable truths about the Christian Patriarchy Movement's limitations. Christian Patriarchy ideology does not inoculate couples from adultery or betrayal, no matter how loudly it champions familial bliss. The submission and self-abnegation it demands from women do not necessarily generate faithful husbands. In short, Christian Patriarchy followers are just as fallible and human as everyone else.


For additional commentary, visit the following links.

Incongruous Circumspection: Doug Phillips Resigned, Martyrs Himself

Homeschoolers Anonymous: Doug Phillips Resigns from Vision Forum, Cancels Speaking Events, Due to "Inappropriate" Relationship

Love, Joy, Feminism: Doug Phillips Resigns from Vision Forum, Cites Affair



2 comments:

  1. i think his letter needs more pathetic groveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novák -- Welcome! Time will tell if Phillips meant what he said in his letter.

      Delete

All comments are subject to moderation. Threatening, violent, or bigoted comments will not be published.