The proposed budget cuts listed in the Hill article include:
- Privatization of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- Elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities
- Major funding reductions for the Department of Energy and the Department of Commerce.
- Funding cuts and program eliminations for the Departments of Justice, State, and Transportation
It gets worse. Vought and Gray previously worked for the Heritage Foundation, a right-wing think tank, according to the Hill. The proposed budget changes strongly resemble those described in a budget "blueprint" published last year by the Heritage Foundation*, the Hill reports. In The Budget Book: 106 Ways to Reduce the Size & Scope of Government, the Heritage Foundation proposed even more horrifying budget cuts, including:
- Elimination of all Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) grants
- Elimination of the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services
- Elimination of grants within the Office of Justice Programs
- Elimination of Titles II, VI, and VIII of the Higher Education Act
- Phasing out Head Start
- Elimination of the Renewable Fuel Standard, regional EPA programs, the EPA's environmental justice programs, and multiple EPA climate programs
To read additional commentary, visit the following links.
Chicago Tribune: Cutting the NEA is first move to eliminate a free, open public realm
Media Matters for America: Corporation For Public Broadcasting: Reported Trump Privatization Plan Would Be “Devastating” To Public Media
The Hill: Arts groups gear up for fight over NEA
* Blueprint for a Balanced Budget 2.0, written by the Republican Study Committee, also warrants attention.