Friday, April 17, 2015

Commentary Tidbits

Cracked: 5 Insane Realities At My Fundamentalist Christian College

Stuff Fundies Like: 10 Signs You’re Still A Fundamentalist (Even If You’ve Left the IFB) 

Political Research Associates: Promoting Anti-LGBTQ Bullying in Schools: Focus on the Family’s “Day of Dialogue” 

The Age: The fight continues against male-sanctioned female submission

Media Matters for America: Hate Group Will Bring Fox News, GOP Hopefuls On A Trip To Israel 

The Independent: I tried to 'pray the gay away', and ended up in a hospital bed

The Atlantic: How Christians Turned Against Gay Conversion Therapy

Human Rights Campaign: HRC Hosts Educational “Conversion Therapy” Panel in Minnesota

Equality Matters: How An Extreme Anti-LGBT Legal Powerhouse Is Working To Enact "Religious Freedom" Laws

Liberal America: 28 Reasons I’m Done Talking To Most Of My Conservative Friends And Family Members


2 comments:

  1. The Liberal America Piece resonates. I can have a genuine conversation with a little less than half of my siblings. For the rest and my parents, their belief narrative casts me as one of the Fallen™ who succumbed to the temptations of the devil. We are amicable on the surface but it's impossible to connect with them emotionally. Prior attempts to do so exposed me to toxic relationships and interactions.

    I found that it's easier and best for all to simply minimize, and in some cases, eliminate contact. This is not difficult for me as I can't respect anyone who opts for willful ignorance over being informed by facts. In the meantime, it's still an ongoing challenge to reconcile what a family is supposed to be with what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agi Tater -- I'm sorry to hear about your family tension. Radically different belief systems can make emotional connection difficult, but when your relatives see you as "fallen", it really undermines relationships. I wish they respected you.

      Delete

All comments are subject to moderation. Threatening, violent, or bigoted comments will not be published.