Thursday, September 12, 2013

Commentary Tidbits

Pew Research Center: 5 facts about the Pledge of Allegiance

The Wartburg Watch: The Senseless Death of Hana Williams

Sarah Over the Moon: On Hugo Schwyzer and Christianity’s Open Door Policy for Abusers

Indian Country Today Media Network: Black and Native American History, Not Creationism, Should Be in Textbooks

Roses and Revolutionaries: Onward, Christian Soldiers: Why American Christians Are OK With War

Salon: Former Christian fundamentalist: Science robbed me of my faith

New York Times: Banning a Pseudo-Therapy

Wall of Separation: He’s Baaaaaaack! Disgraced ‘Christian Nation’ Advocate David Barton Sought By Politicians Looking To Court Religious Right

Media Matters: A Right-Wing Media Star Is Born: Vladimir Putin

6 comments:

  1. You always manage to come up with some great articles. I always try to help out Lana Hope of Wide Open Ground any way I can, she's a great blogger, and dare I say, my favorite Christian blogger out there on the internet (John Shore comes rather close).

    On the Hana Williams case, what never ceases to baffle me is that in death by abuse cases, no matter the specific circumstances, the parents are usually only charged with manslaughter or felony child endangerment instead of second degree murder in most jurisdictions.

    I can't understand why that is, I suppose someone could argue that there was no direct intent to kill, but that usually doesn't matter in other circumstances, usually if someone does something to cause bodily harm to another person with the intent only to injure, but the other person dies anyway, they are usually still charged with murder (bar fights or domestic violence cases, for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheldon -- Thanks. I'm glad readers like you enjoy the news and commentary.

      I don't know enough about the criminal justice system to comment on child abuse charges, but I'd be interested to learn why they're charged as such.

      Delete
  2. You bring us stuff we wouldn't find other places! The piece on Putin was great. (And unnerving.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna -- I'm glad! Enjoy.

      As for the Putin piece, it's disturbing how the American far-right is defending Putin and Russia.

      Delete
  3. I feel like FOX made a 180 overnight on their coverage of Putin.

    "Oh, we can use him to make Obama look bad? Let's run with it!"

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation. Threatening, violent, or bigoted comments will not be published.